Letter from the Director: Practicing Gratitude

Good Morning Everyone,

I hope this message finds you well and that your day is off to a great start.

I write to y’all to share updates about what the SACE Office has going on, and offer some thoughts to take with you heading into the month of November.

This month, the SACE Office has the following programs planned:

• Tuesday, November 13th: SACE Office Hours at 11:30 am – 1:30 pm (Usdan 114): have questions about the SACE Office? Want to learn more about how you can get involved? Come by and say hi to meet with the SACE Director to answer these questions, and your own.

• Wednesday, November 14th: Know Your Survivor Advocate Panel Discussion at 12 – 1 pm (South College B2/B3): want to learn more about the survivor support resources on campus and in the Middletown community? Join us for snacks and a panel discussion with representatives from the Wesleyan SACE Office, New Horizons, and the Women & Families Center. This event is open to the full Wesleyan community, so faculty, staff, and students are welcome to attend.

• Thursday, November 15th: Call for Bystander Facilitators Training at 4:30-6:30 pm (Boger 112): interested in becoming a paid Bystander Training Facilitator? Join us for a review of the updated Bystander Training curriculum as a first step to becoming a facilitator. Dinner will be provided! RSVP by clicking this link.

• Tuesday, November 27th: Conversations about Consent Workshop at 7:30-8:30 pm (Usdan 110): Join the SACE Director and Women & Families Center Campus Advocate for a conversation about consent—what it is, what it means to students, and how to negotiate conversations around giving and receiving consent. Snacks will be provided!

With these events in mind, thinking of ways to take care of ourselves, while engaging in these emotional, sometimes challenging conversations is also important. For me, I have been thinking a lot about gratitude as a tool for self-care. As the semester is well under way, and preparations for end of semester projects and exams begin, I find pausing to practice gratitude as an act of self-care to be very valuable. As an act of mindfulness and introspection, taking time to make a “gratitude list”, or a list of things I am thankful for, even if it is 3 things that seem very simple, can make the difference between having a stressful day to having one filled with more peace and happiness. Even when I’m most overwhelmed, spending time focusing on the positive aspects and joys in my life is a great way to re-center my attention.

Today, my gratitude list is:

• I’m thankful for the opportunity to work with and be inspired by survivors every day.
  • I’m thankful for opportunities to learn and grow that I am gifted with daily.
  • I’m thankful for my wonderful community of friends, family, and colleagues whom keep me grounded and supported.

What would your gratitude list look like?

Wishing you all the best and sending positive healing energy your way.

Take care,
Johanna